Ithaca Fourth of July & Fireworks
Celebration continues responsibly for the 4th of July in Ithaca & Tompkins County, as well as the surrounding area.
The 4th of July is a special time for friends and family to celebrate America’s birthday. When you think of Independence Day, a few iconic things come to mind, including backyard BBQs, American flags, and, of course, fireworks! Most firework displays in Ithaca and the surrounding area have been cancelled, however you can still enjoy beautiful night skies.
There are still many ways to make your 4th of July festive. Dine on Restaurant Row/Aurora Streatery, the 100-block of downtown N Aurora St temporarily closed for pedestrian access and extended outdoor dining. Explore the county and find additional outdoor dining, u-pick experiences, and tasting rooms to visit. Celebrate America by hiking and appreciating the public NY State Parks. Discover new waterfalls, gorges, hiking trails and adventures in Ithaca and Tompkins County. Pack a blanket, and a mask, and take time to enjoy the summer sky no matter what time of day. And of course, don't forget the ice cream. In addition to the classics, you'll find non-dairy and gluten free options at these Ithaca favorites.
Some of the best ice cream in the Finger Lakes
- Sweet Melissa's Ice Cream at Shortstop Deli -- soft serve on W Seneca St in Ithaca.
- Purity Ice Cream -- scoops available and curbside pick-up on Cascadilla St in Ithaca
- Cayuga Lake Creamery -- creative flavors such as Red, White & Blueberry on State Rt 89 in Interlaken
2020 Fireworks Events
Ithaca & Tompkins County
- Thursday, July 2: Town of Groton - In order to promote social distancing and deter large group gatherings, we will be hosting the show in a field between Clark st and Lick st, north of 222 and south of Old Stage rd. The field will not be accessible to the public. Fire personnel will be the only ones in the field. The show will be visible throughout most of the town. There will not be a ground show this year, so look to the sky in the Northeast. More information here.
- Evening lakeviews are still best enjoyed in the summer. The Inn at Taughannock reopens for the season on July 2. The Boatyard Grill has also has indoor and outdoor seating now available, as well as The Pines on the west side of Cayuga Lake.
- The annual fireworks displays including at Stewart Park and in Lansing have been cancelled.
Other Finger Lakes Region July 4th, 2020 Events
- Friday, July 3: Cortland - While the exact launch site isn’t being revealed due to safety and social distancing concerns, county officials said it will ensure the fireworks can be easily seen from most locations in and around the city. More information here.
- Saturday, July 4: Branchport/Keuka Park at 10pm - More information here.
- Saturday, July 4: Hammondsport/Keuka Lake at 9:30pm