Ithaca 4th of July & Fireworks
The celebration continues responsibly for the 4th of July in Ithaca & Tompkins County, as well as the surrounding area.
The 4th of July is a special time for friends and family to celebrate America’s birthday. When you think of Independence Day, a few iconic things come to mind, including backyard BBQs, American flags, and, of course, fireworks!
There are many ways to make your 4th of July festive in the Finger Lakes. Dine on Restaurant Row/Aurora Streatery, the 100-block of downtown N Aurora St temporarily closed for pedestrian access and extended outdoor dining. Explore the county and find additional outdoor dining, u-pick experiences, and tasting rooms to visit. Celebrate America by hiking and appreciating the public NY State Parks. Discover new waterfalls, gorges, hiking trails and adventures in Ithaca and Tompkins County. Pack a blanket, and a mask, and take time to enjoy the summer sky no matter what time of day. Evening lake views are still best enjoyed in the summer. The Boatyard Grill, now has indoor and outdoor seating available, as well as The Glenwood Pines (closed July 4) on the west side of Cayuga Lake.
2021 Fireworks and other Events
Ithaca & Tompkins County
- Friday, July 2: Town of Groton - at dark, no rain dates, hosting the show in a field between Clark St and Lick St, visible throughout the community (no central gathering area)
- Friday, July 2: Community Fireworks and BBQ Open House at RaNic Golf Club and Parrilla Restaurant - event is now SOLD OUT
- Saturday, July 3: Cayuga Lake south of Myers Park in Lansing - at dark, no central gathering area, visible around the south end of Cayuga Lake
- Sunday, July 4: Treleaven Wines - 1 to 4pm, 4th of July BBQ with live music
- Opening July 2: Breaking Barriers: Women's Lives & Livelihoods exhibit at The History Center explores the lives of women across the centuries through six interactive exhibits
- Monday, July 5: Wood-Fired Pizza & Jazz at South Hill Cider - outdoors, 5:30-8:30pm
- NEW DATE Sunday, July 11: Stewart Park 100th Birthday Bash - 1 to 3pm, family-friendly
- Check our full events calendar for additional events and happenings in the Ithaca area for Independence Day weekend including evening boat cruises.
Other Finger Lakes Region July 4th Weekend Events
- Friday, July 2: Cortland - Dwyer Memorial Park in Little Lake at dusk in Cortland
- Friday, July 2: Candor - (July 3 rain date) Dwyer Memorial Park in Little Lake at dusk in Cortland
- Saturday, July 3: Fair Haven - fireworks at 10pm at the southern end of the bay
- Saturday, July 3: Hammondsport/Keuka Lake - fireworks at 10:30pm
- Sunday, July 4: Branchport/Keuka Lake - parade at 2pm, fireworks at 10pm
- Sunday, July 4: Town of Union - fireworks at 9:30pm at Highland Park in Endicott
- Sunday, July 4: Watkins Glen - fireworks at 9:45pm in Clute Park
Cancelled or postponed events for 2021:
- Myers Park in Lansing - cancelled
- Ithaca Rotary Fireworks Celebration - postponed
- Eldridge Park in Elmira - cancelled
Some of the best ice cream in the Finger Lakes
Don't forget the ice cream! In addition to the classics, you'll find non-dairy and gluten-free options at these Ithaca favorites.
- Sweet Melissa's Ice Cream at Shortstop Deli -- soft serve on W Seneca St in Ithaca
- Purity Ice Cream -- scoops available, ice cream sandwiches and other treats on Cascadilla St in Ithaca
- Cayuga Lake Creamery -- creative flavors such as Red, White & Blueberry located inside the historic Dewitt Mall in downtown Ithaca, and on State Rt 89 in Interlaken