Graduation Weekends 2021
Cornell University and Ithaca College campuses remain closed to guests. Please respect each of the campus policies in support of a safe Commencement for all students.
Ithaca College’s primary day of graduations is Sunday, May 23
Cornell University’s primary day of graduations is Saturday, May 29
Graduation weekends will look different this year, yet there are many ways to safely celebrate the great accomplishments of the graduating students. Please note that mask wearing in all public areas including the Downtown Ithaca Commons is still expected of visitors and residents. Everyone should allow for social distancing as well as to practice patience and consideration during potentially longer wait times at your favorite businesses and restaurants. Many are not operating at a full pre-pandemic scale, yet still wish to provide excellent service.
What to expect for Food and Dining
During these busier than usual weekends, restaurants may require reservations or may quickly reach capacity limitations. Please plan to call ahead or take advantage of options to order online when available. Same day orders may not be accommodated as capacities may be reached early.
You may want to to consider calling in advance to make family-style takeout arrangements that can be enjoyed in the comfort of your own accommodations.
Here are a few restaurants with option options that will still make your celebration meal feel special:
- Hazelnut Kitchen in Trumansburg for Hazelnut at Home to-go
- Maxie’s Suppers Club on West State Street, order in advance takeout
- The Rook on West State Street, first come first serve outdoor dining; takeout and bottled cocktails available
- Ithaca Bakery / Collegetown Bagels – order ahead boxed lunches available
- Serendipity’s Backlot is livestreaming the Ithaca College commencement ceremony
- Inn at Taughannock Falls Restaurant, reservation only for dinner
- Finger Lakes Cider House in Interlaken serves farm-to-table lunch daily 11am to 4pm
- Gola Osteria – (update: fully booked for Cornell graduation)
- Coltivare – (update: booked both weekends for dine-in and pre-order takeout)
Many casual eateries downtown including those long The Streatery / Aurora Street may not be taking reservations, so please anticipate a wait. You can enjoy shopping on The Commons while you wait.
Greenstar Co-op, Wegmans, Main Street Market in Trumansburg, and Brookton’s Market all offer some grab-and-go food options as well as locally produced cheeses and other food and drink. A picnic style lunch may be fun to create and offer you flexibility to enjoy in a park or your own accommodations.