15th Annual Winter Recess Teacher Festival
The Ithaca community comes together for a week of Winter Recess every February to celebrate educators with entertainment, activities, family fun and discounts throughout Tompkins County. It's our way of saying thanks to educators everywhere for all of your hard work and dedication!
2020 Winter Recess Teacher Festival Schedule Preview
Pre-registration begins Jan. 20th. Educators may check in on any day of the festival at the East Shore Drive Visitor Center or Downtown Visitor Center on The Commons to receive their swag bag, official program and festival badges.
For full details about special deals on dining, lodging, and shopping, as well as an FAQ with answers on how obtain your "VIT" (Very Important Teacher) pass, please visit the official Ithaca Loves Teachers website.
Some of the NEW deals for 2020!
- CTLE Credit Classes at Ithaca College: Virtual Reality in the Classroom Workshop & more! Register here.
- CoreLife Eatery – 25% off order
- South Hill Cider – Free cider tasting
- Northstar House – BOGO appetizers
- The Bloomwell – 15% off health/beauty purchase
- Mama Said Hand Pies (Press Bay Alley)– 15% off any purchase
- One Ring Donuts (Press Bay Alley)– 20% off order
- Sweet Melissa’s (Press Bay Alley)– BOGO ice cream or baked goods
- The Strand at the Canopy by Hilton Ithaca Downtown – Free drink with purchase, or 20% off bill
- Bring-a-Friend Days at Hair Color Art (Press Bay Alley)- Buy one service, receive a second 50% off
Daily events & activities are scheduled in Ithaca & the surrounding area. Here are a few events, the full schedule is available at IthacaLovesTeachers.com and inside the official print program after you check in.
Please note many events are free and some have a fee and/or require a reservation. See IthacaLovesTeachers.com and the program for full details.
Friday, February 14th
- 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Family sledding at Rice Hill.
- 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Make a Gourd Night Light at Gourdlandia
- 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM: CBD Educational Presentation at Your CBD Store
- 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM: A Valentines Day Party...for everyone! Dinner & entertainment at Six Mile Creek Winery
Saturday, February 15th
- 8:30 AM - 10:00 AM: Beginner Bird Walk at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology
- 10:00 PM - 1:00 PM: Darwin Family Day at the Museum of the Earth
- 12:30 PM - 4:30 PM: Made in Ithaca Luscious Libations Tour
Sunday, February 16th
- 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM: Exploring Haudenosaunee Cycles at The History Center
- 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM: Winter Recess Opening Reception at The Hotel Ithaca
Monday, February 17th
- 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM: 9th annual Winter Recess Fiber Arts Festival at LaTourelle Resort
- 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM: Ice Cream Making 101 at Cayuga Lake Creamery in Interlaken
- 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: WSKG Teacher Open House at the PBS/NPR Ithaca studio.
- Winter Break-a-Leg camp begins at Hangar Theatre Company for students in grades 1st-6th.
Tuesday, February 18th
- 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM: Maple Syrup Production at Tenwood Lodge
- 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM: Free screening of 'The Kids We Lose' at Cinemapolis; receive 2 CTLE hours
- 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM: Trivia Night at Monks on the Commons
Wednesday, February 19th
- 10:00 AM - 3:30 PM: Spacecraft Planetary Imaging Facility teacher workshop.
- 12:30 PM - 2:30 PM: Forest Tea Time with Primitive Pursuits
- 6:00 PM - 7:15 PM: $5 Yoga at Hopshire Farm & Brewery
Thursday, February 20th
- 3:00 PM - 4:30 PM: Winter Forest Walk at South Hill Cider
- 7:30 PM - 9:30 PM: 'Cry It Out' production at the Kitchen Theatre Company
- 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM: 'Food & Wine for Scholarships' Pairing and Reception at Coltivare
Friday, February 21st
- 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Rare and Manuscript Collection Presentation at Cornell
- 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM: Ithaca Heritage Guided Tours
- 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Happy Hour at Kilpatrick's
- 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Fireside Tastings at Buttonwood Grove Winery
Saturday, February 22nd
- 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Artisan Food and Craft Beverage Tasting in the Tompkins Center for History & Culture
- 3:00 PM - 5:30 PM: The Science of Taste Food Tour with Ithaca is Foodies
- 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM: Mardi Gras along the Cayuga Lake Wine Trail
Sunday, February 23rd
- 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM: Brunch at Coltivare,Tompkins Cortland Community College's Culinary Center
- 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Sensory Perception of Wine at Bet The Farm Winery
- 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Learn to Juggle Sundays at Circus Culture