Downtown Ithaca Commons
Explore the Famous Ithaca Commons
No matter the season, no matter the time of day, there is always something exciting going on in the award-winning Ithaca Commons. This four-block, pedestrian-only section of Downtown is home to many unique stores and Ithaca restaurants.
With its close proximity to Cornell University and Ithaca College, the Ithaca Commons is the perfect place for friends to gather for a day of strolling through shops or to grab a late night bite. Some of Ithaca’s most popular annual events and festivals are held in the Commons, including Downtown Ithaca Apple Harvest Festival in the fall and Downtown Ithaca Chili Cook-Off in the winter. Ithaca Commons events, such as musical and street performances, happen year-round, so visitors are sure to find something of interest during any time of the year.
Beyond the Commons, there is even more to discover! Downtown Ithaca is a diverse environment that is easily described as eclectic, vibrant, and constantly changing. Ithaca is known for its art influence, and the downtown district is living proof. Walk past any alley and you’ll see building walls covered with incredible public art by local artists. The restaurants are culturally diverse, nightlife is abundant and exciting, the shops are far from mainstream, and entertainment is all around.
If you’re visiting Ithaca, or are in Tompkins County, make sure to add Downtown Ithaca and the Ithaca Commons to your must-see list!
Things to Do in Ithaca Commons
There is never a shortage of fun things to do in Ithaca. Here are some of our favorite things to experience in Downtown Ithaca and on the Commons:
- Find your new favorite vegetarian dish at the legendary Moosewood Restaurant.
- Discover unique shops and Buffalo Street Books in the Dewitt Mall.
- Begin the Sciencenter Sagan Planet Walk in the heart of the Commons and learn about our solar system.
- Visit Restaurant Row for everything from casual street food to fine cuisine.
- Buy or sell comics and graphic novels at Comics for Collectors.
- Take a hike on the short, yet gorge-ous, Cascadilla Gorge Trail, on our guide to favorite hikes around downtown.
Our community remains committed to safety.
As you are out and about in Ithaca and Tompkins County, please remember to be kind to service workers. #TompkinsTogether is meant to spread kindness, encourage patience and raise awareness that businesses are experiencing real staffing challenges.