Graduation Weekends 2023
Graduation weekends are May 19-21 and May 26-29, 2023.
Congratulations to all the Class of 2023 graduates from Ithaca College and Cornell University. We look forward to welcoming your visiting friends and family to the Ithaca area as they celebrate your accomplishments.
Ithaca College’s primary day of graduation is Sunday, May 21. Find Ithaca College commencement information.
Cornell University’s primary graduation day is Saturday, May 27, convocation celebrations are happening Friday through Sunday. Find Cornell University commencement events and schedule.
There are many ways to celebrate the outstanding accomplishments of graduating students. From our waterfalls and gorges to the Downtown Commons, there are so many reasons Ithaca is unique. Soak in these last few moments in your college town and create lasting memories. Everyone should plan to practice patience and consideration during potentially longer wait times at your favorite businesses and restaurants. Many of our businesses continue to experience staffing shortages while still aiming to provide excellent service.
What to Expect for Food and Dining
During these busier-than-usual weekends, restaurants may require reservations or may quickly reach capacity limitations. Please plan to call ahead or take advantage of options to order online when available. Same-day orders may not be accommodated as capacities may be reached early.
Many casual eateries downtown including those on Aurora Street may not be taking reservations, so please anticipate a wait. You can enjoy shopping on The Commons while you wait.
Availability is not guaranteed. Here are some dining options to consider:
- Maxie’s Supper Club is open for dinner, and reservations are suggested (Please call the restaurant directly for reservations, a credit card is required.)
- Boatyard Grill is open at 3 pm Saturday and 12 pm Sunday for Ithaca College graduation weekend. They will also be available beginning at 12 for both days of Cornell commencement weekend. They will be accepting walk-ins, only you can call ahead starting at 11 am on the days they open at 12.
- Mia is open for dinner, reservations are suggested.
- The Heights features a set menu with reservations available for both graduation weekends.
- Gola Osteria booked for May 26th and May 27th of Cornell University Graduation, walk-ins/reservations available for Ithaca College. Parties of 6 or more must order a prix fixe menu ahead of their reservation. Email email@example.com
- Spring Celebration Wine Pairing Dinner (limited seating available)- CHEF & SOMMELIER WINE DINNER with Chef Scott Riesenberger and Sommelier Laura Winter Falk mark your special weekend with a truly spectacular evening. On Saturday, May 19 and 20th at 6:30, Hound & Mare will transform into an energizing yet intimate Tapas Bar featuring authentic Spanish tapas and wine.
Greenstar Co-op, Wegmans, Main Street Market in Trumansburg, and Brookton’s Market all offer some grab-and-go food options, locally produced cheeses, and other food and drink. A picnic-style lunch may be fun to create and offer you the flexibility to enjoy in a park or your own accommodations.
Ideas for exploring the greater Ithaca area outdoors:
- Discover Cayuga Lake sunset boat cruises, and make a reservation in advance.
- The History Center in Tompkins County Guided Tour - Walking tour highlighting the downtown history of Ithaca College and Cornell University (available by request).
- Stewart Park, a fully accessible public park at the head of Cayuga Lake. Picnic tables and grills are available.
- Visit one of our Waterfalls, we have more than 150 waterfalls, carved out by glaciers that formed gorges millions of years ago - within 10 miles.