4th of July & Fireworks
The celebration continues responsibly for the 4th of July in Ithaca & Tompkins County, as well as the surrounding area.
The 4th of July is a special time for friends and family to celebrate America’s birthday. When you think of Independence Day, a few iconic things come to mind, including backyard BBQs, American flags, and, of course, fireworks!
There are many ways to make your 4th of July festive in the Finger Lakes. Dine on Restaurant Row/Aurora Street, the 100-block of downtown with many of our area restaurants offering outdoor dining. Explore the county and find additional outdoor dining, u-pick experiences, and tasting rooms to visit. Celebrate America by hiking and appreciating the public NY State Parks. Discover new waterfalls, gorges, hiking trails and adventures in Ithaca and Tompkins County. Pack a blanket, and a picnic, and take time to enjoy the summer sky no matter what time of day. Evening lake views are still best enjoyed in the summer. The Boatyard Grill, has indoor and outdoor seating available, as well as The Glenwood Pines (closed July 4) on the west side of Cayuga Lake.
2022 Fireworks and other Events
Ithaca & Tompkins County
- Friday, July 1: Groton Fireworks Show - food trucks starting at 7pm and DJ at Groton Elementary School Field
- Friday, July 1: Friday Night Farm Jams at Finger Lakes Cider House - 6:30 to 8:30pm, enjoy delicious cider and local farm-to-table food, there will also be live music on the farm ($5-10 cover fee)
- Saturday, July 2: Brooktondale Outdoor Summer Concert Series - 1 to 4pm, free and open to the public
- Sunday, July 3: Inn at Taughannock Falls Fireworks Display - at approximately 9pm, parking available at Taughannock Falls State Park
- Sunday, July 3: Club Cayuga Sunset Cruise, 7:30 to 9:30pm, lively music on board the MV Teal, operated by Discover Cayuga Lake, book online
- Sunday, July 3: Treleaven Wines - 1 to 4pm, house-made BBQ with live music
- Monday, July 4: Mondays with MAQ at South Hill Cider - outdoors, 5:30 to 8:30pm
- Check our full events calendar for additional events and live performances in the Ithaca area for Independence Day week including more boat cruises.
Other Finger Lakes Region July 4th Weekend Events
- Friday, July 1: Candor - Fireworks, Young Explosives Corp. at dusk.
- Saturday, July 2: Cortland - (July 3 rain date) Dwyer Memorial Park in Little Lake 2 to 10pm.
- Saturday, July 2: Fair Haven - fireworks at 10pm at the southern end of the bay
- Saturday, July 2: Hammondsport / Keuka Lake- fireworks at 10pm, watch at school or fire department
- Sunday, July 3: Emerson Park/Owasko Lake
- Sunday, July 3: Watkins Glen - fireworks at 9:30pm at Seneca Lake Events Center
- Monday, July 4: Branchport/Keuka Lake - parade at 2pm, fireworks at 10pm
Canceled or postponed events for 2022:
- Myers Park in Lansing - canceled
- Ithaca Rotary Fireworks Celebration - canceled
- Eldridge Park in Elmira - canceled
Some of the best ice cream in the Finger Lakes
Don't forget the ice cream! In addition to the classics, you'll find non-dairy and gluten-free options at these Ithaca favorites.
- Sweet Melissa's Ice Cream at Shortstop Deli -- soft serve on W Seneca St in Ithaca
- Purity Ice Cream -- scoops available, ice cream sandwiches and other treats on Cascadilla St in Ithaca
- Cayuga Lake Creamery -- creative flavors such as Red, White & Blueberry located inside the historic Dewitt Mall in downtown Ithaca, and on State Rt 89 in Interlaken