Outdoor Recreation in Ithaca
Enjoy the Great Outdoors
Perfect running trails. Breathtaking waterfalls. Beautiful shores. Unforgettable memories. Outdoor recreation opportunities are abundant throughout Ithaca and Tompkins County. Find peaceful shores to enjoy an afternoon picnic beside, biking trails through incredible forests, and hiking trails that lead you to the base of unbelievable waterfalls. Ithaca may be a mini-city in the southern tip of the Finger Lakes, but you can always enjoy some outdoor adventure to get you back in touch with nature.
Whether you want to launch your kayak into Cayuga Lake, follow a path through the trees, or play a round of golf on one of the beautiful greens, Ithaca won’t disappoint. Make your vacation here all about the outdoors and choose one of the many Ithaca camping options available to take it all in from sun up to sun down!
Outdoor Recreation in Ithaca by Weather
- Go for a waterfall hike at the many waterfall locations throughout the area
- Take a long, relaxing bike ride along wooded trails
- Play a round of mini-golf at the Sciencenter
- Learn to horseback ride at the Ithaca Equestrian Center
- Take up fly fishing and book a Spring trip with Finger Lakes Fly Fishing
- Enjoy a peaceful picnic at one of the state parks
- Let the kids get some energy out at the many playgrounds in the area
- Rent paddling equipment from Paddle-N-More on the weekends in May
- Enjoy seeing bird migrations at Sapsucker Woods during a birdwatching adventure
- Get some exercise and go for a run along the East Hill Recreation Way trail
- Indoor ice skating at Cass Park and The Rink
- Winter hiking at Taughannock Falls State Park
- Sledding on Rice Hill
- Snowmobiling on various public trails
- Pond skating at Rice Hill
- Cross-country skiing at Podunk Ski Center, Rice Hill, and Cayuga Nature Center
- Ice fishing on Cayuga Lake (please ensure water is fully frozen before attempting)
Explore the many multi-use trails throughout Ithaca & Tompkins County at IthacaTrails.org and plan your next outdoor recreation adventure. Find info about locations, difficulty, mileage, and more!