As the birthplace of the ice cream sundae back in 1892, it is no secret that Ithaca handles its ice cream business very seriously. Opt-in for a delicious treat on a warm summer's day with seemingly endless flavor options. Cone, bowl, sundae, or milkshake, we have you covered; check out our A-to-Z glossary of ice cream in Ithaca below!
During your next trip to Ithaca, put together an Ice Cream tour to stay cool in the heat. Celebrate National Ice Cream Day on July 17th by tagging us in your favorite Ithaca Ice Cream moments on social media!
A TO Z ICE CREAM OF ITHACA
- This specialty shake from Purity Ice Cream is served with mocha chip ice cream, paired with Gimme! Coffee.
- Try something sweet and savory from Purity Ice Cream, featuring praline-flavored ice cream with caramel swirl and chocolate-covered pecan candies.
CORNELL DAIRY BAR
- The famous Cornell Dairy Bar is in Stocking Hall on the east end of Tower Road of Cornell's campus, a great place for breakfast, coffee, and of course, sweet goodies like Cornell ice cream, sundaes, and floats.
DEWITT MALL CAYUGA LAKE CREAMERY
- Grab yourself homemade ice cream while you are downtown from the Cayuga Lake Creamery location in the Dewitt Mall. They even have a wine ice cream/ sorbet to try!
EZRA'S MORNING CUP
- In honor of the founder of Cornell University, Ezra Cornell, order this premium coffee ice cream from the Cornell Dairy Bar.
- With so many exciting flavors, don't forget about the classics. You can find rich, creamy, and delicious French vanilla ice cream at many of our local shops.
- You will find green tea-flavored ice cream right at Purity Ice Cream. This flavor consists of green tea powder blended with vanilla ice cream.
- Find this tropical treat at Trimmer's Ice Cream in Trumansburg, along with plenty of specialty sundaes.
- Another Cornell Dairy Bar favorite is premium Kahlua ice cream with a chocolate fudge swirl. Can you guess what city this flavor is named after?
- Not looking for a massive milkshake – Purity has you covered, order a junior shake for a smaller size!
KAHLUA ALMOND AMARETTO
- Scoops of Lansing serves Perry's Ice Cream, including a Kahlua almond amaretto flavor. This Kahlua Amaretto ice cream has roasted almonds in the mix!
- One of the four hard ice cream flavors available at Sweet Melissa's.
- Not located at an ice cream shop, but try these homemade chocolate chip cookies on a vanilla ice cream sundae, topped with chocolate and caramel drizzle, and of course, whipped cream. You can find this sundae at the Ithaca Ale House.
- Another Purity classic is vanilla ice cream with a bourbon caramel swirl, brownie pieces, and walnuts.
- Try this summertime soft serve combo at Sweet Melissa's!
PURITY ICE CREAM
- The "Ice Cream of the Finger Lakes" since 1936. Founded by Cornell grad Leo Guentert, Purity has remained a locally owned business ever since.
QUARTS FOR SALE
- Love our ice cream in Ithaca? Buy some to bring home with you! Ask our shops about quarts or pints that they might have for sale.
RED RASBERRY SHERBERT
- Another delicious soft-serve option available at Sweet Melissa's!
- A family-owned ice cream shop located in downtown Ithaca making homemade ice cream and fun flavors.
TRIMMERS ICE CREAM
- Family-owned and operated in Trumansburg. Trimmer's serves 14 Hershey's Hard Ice Cream flavors and ice cream from a local favorite, Purity Ice Cream. They also carry soft serve and frozen yogurt.
UPSIDE DOWN CONE
- Want to take your sweet treat on the go but still have a cone? Order your ice cream in a bowl and add the cone on top!
- Soft-serve or hard ice cream find this classic flavor at any ice cream shop around! Make this treat fun by adding different toppings or dips to your ice cream.
WARM CARAMEL SUNDAE
- Warm caramel and ice cream just go together! Order this sundae from Trimmer's Ice Cream.
- From Purity get 2 warm brownies, and one warm cookie topped with 8 scoops of your choice of ice cream, 3 sundae sauces, and 4 candy toppings, finished with whipped cream and cherries.
- Opt-in for frozen yogurt during your next trip to Purity Ice Cream.
ZWEIGLE’S hot dogs at Not My Dads
- We tried to find something ice cream related for Z, visit Not My Dads soft-serve ice cream in Trumansburg and order a Zweigle’s hot dog for a quick meal.